Summer usually indicates kids will be spending more time around your home. Idle time in some cases implies kids will be poking around the kitchen in hopes of finding a fast and easy snack-often an unhealthy one.
To help keep kids healthy, make certain to keep the fridge and pantry equipped with healthy snacks that kids will enjoy. Start with a vast array of choices from the milk, fruit, veggie and grains food groups.
“Smart snacking is a fantastic method to fulfill nutrient requirements that might be missed at mealtime,” stated Andrea Garen, a signed up dietitian at Dairy Council of California. “If selected thoroughly, snacks can promote good health without adding a lot of calories.”
Garen includes that encouraging outside play, a rejuvenating dip in the pool and other physical activities are likewise part of the formula to keep kids healthy.
Some snacking tips that make a parent’s task simpler:
- Plan ahead and purchase healthy snacks when you grocery purchase the week.
- Pre-portion your child’s treats into small plastic bags to get on the go.
- Keep healthy treats in a particular spot in your fridge or cupboard, and let kids assist themselves.
- Integrate treats from 2 or more food groups, like raspberry yogurt, low-fat chocolate milk and a banana in a mixer for a cool, rejuvenating treat.
The Dairy Council of California’s meal-planning Website (www.mealsmatter.org) includes numerous free and easy-to-make, kid-friendly dish concepts, including the Apple Bagel Sandwich. Moms and dads can attempt this and numerous other great-tasting recipes and snack ideas to assist their kids stay healthy throughout summer.
Apple Bagel Sandwich
- 1/2 Whole-wheat bagel (or bagel of your choice)
- 1 Slice Cheddar cheese
- 1 Apple (green is better)
- A dash of cinnamon
- Slice the apple so that you make a round apple slice. Next, put the slice of cheese on top of the bagel half. Place the apple slice on top of the cheese and sprinkle some cinnamon on top of the apple.
- Bake on a cookie sheet in the oven for 5 to 10 minutes at 350 degrees, but watch to make sure you don’t burn it. It’s done when the cheese starts to melt.
Total Preparation Time: less than 15 minutes.